THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.
Taking care of your health is one of the most important things you can do for yourself in order to obtain the optimist lifestyle, along with building effective relationships and self-development. In what ways are you implementing your health and fitness goals this year and are you on track to fulfill them? Below are 12 simple and effective strategies to supercharge your health and fitness goals
1) Make time to train-This is probably the hardest part for most people-starting an exercise regime in the first place. Yet I hear many times over and over again the excuses that people make for not establishing an exercise routine in the first place. The lamest excuse I’ve heard is that people ‘don’t have the time to train’. Yet there are 24 hours in a day, I’m sure you can dedicate some of that time to daily exercise? Ask yourself what you did last night? Did you watch the latest film on Netflix, or perhaps spent the majority of the evening on your social media? Are kidding yourself? If you can make time for these leisurely pursuits, you can definitely make time to exercise! And your exercise regime doesn’t have to be 2 hours long either, a 40 minute weights session or even 20-30 minute circuit session 3-4 times a week should suffice.
2) Drink at least 2 liters water a day-There is nothing much better than the good old H20 when it comes to hydrating your body. Aim to drink at least 2 liters of water a day or more if you exercise too. I personally have a glass first thing in the morning, with meals and sipping continuously throughout the day. To make sure you are drinking enough, have a glass of water first thing in the morning, with meals, and carry a water bottle to sip continuously throughout the day and when exercising. You can purchase one yourself here. I personally drink the water from my own home via a water filter. Feel free to check out the range available here.
3) Drink Pack your meals for work-by implementing this habit, you will not only become more healthier, it’s also more fun and you save money too! In general, I like to shop twice and prepare my meals twice a week. I don’t like the thought of eating 5 day old meat and vegetables come Friday so I like to split my meal planning mid-week. However, if you find this a pain in the backside, you can always try a meal delivery service such as the $5 meal plan. You can order your meals by clicking here.
4) Drink Keep your diet clean and basic-Eating clean and healthy is not a fad or a trend, it’s a lifestyle! That means eating clean, fresh whole food consistently. As a general rule of thumb with a few exceptions, if cannot kill it or grow it, then don’t eat it. I personally like to space out my meals so that I am eating about 4-5 small meals a day in order to increase my metabolism as well as to ensure I’m never overeating or hungry, with a typical breakfast consisting of eggs on toast or porridge, chicken/turkey or fish with sweet potatoes, steamed vegetables and rice for lunch and dinner and fresh fruit and nuts in between. However, if you find meal planning too difficult or time consuming, you can always try the $5 meal plan or Amazon Fresh. You can order your food at Amazon by clicking here.
5) Implement one cheat meal a week-the whole purpose of the cheat meal strategy is to reward yourself for eating cleanly for the majority of the week. However, do not overindulge and be reasonable. A few slices of pizza is ok, a whole Dominoes XXL with wedges and Ben and Jerrys for dessert is not! Ideally, you should aim to eat cleanly about 90% of the time. Say for example, you eat 3 meals a day plus a snack, that’s 28 meals a week so you can afford to indulge approximately 2-3 times a week. However, if you have an established regular exercise routine, you can push this up to 20%.
6) Implement basic, simple gym workouts-if you are a beginner, take a look at this beginners gym routine that you can follow and then you can split this into an upper body and lower body workout training 3 times a week after around 3 months, with interval training either after your gym sessions or on your gym days off. In fact, the upper body/lower body split routine is what I’ve been doing for the past few years-each time trying to either increase the rep range, weight or both on all exercises
7) Use a foam roller on a regular basis –using a foam roller, especially a hard, deep tissue massage roller – offers many of the same benefits as a sports massage, including reduced inflammation, scar tissue and joint stress, as well as improved circulation and improved flexibility. Indeed, by regularly rolling pre and post workout, you will help prepare your muscles for the workout ahead and also help with post muscle recovery. You can purchase your foam roller here.
8) Listen to music when you exercise-research suggests that listening to music is a great way to distract yourself from your bodily awareness (i.e. pain!). Moreover, listening to music puts me into the zone, would help me to keep pace with my workouts and moreover, helps to elevate my mood! I definitely recommend purchasing a sturdy, good quality pair of wireless headphones such as the model by Bose here.
9) Get a sports massage-if you can afford it, get a massage at least once a week. Indeed, the primary reason for sports massage is usually to reduce muscle tension from exercise, as well as to relieve the stresses which accumulate in the body’s soft tissues during the course of training. Wherever minor injuries and wounds occur, as a result of over exertion or excessive use, massage can easily break them down rapidly and efficiently. Other benefits of massage include improved relaxation, more flexibility range of movement, scar tissue breakdown and increasing recovery by promoting blood circulation.
10) Go to the sauna 3-4 times a week-nothing is more invigorating then a hot, sweaty sauna which not only relieves stress, but also relaxes and soothes aches and pains, flushes away toxins, cleanses the skin as well as making you feel good!
11) Take up yoga-besides improving your flexibility, yoga also protects us from muscle pain and tightness, improves your posture, blood flow plus makes you happier-win win! So don’t hesitate to book your next class in the gym-aim to go to at least one class a week on your rest days.
12) Sleep more- One third of all people in the US now sleep for just 5-6 hours a night, which is significantly less than the standard 7-8 hours that is recommended under conventional wisdom. Sleep deficiency can lead to problems with focusing, creativity and decision making, not to mention weight gain and depression. To ensure you get enough sleep, try to go to bed and rise at the same time every day, including weekends. Also, try and avoid exercise late at night, turn off your tablets and phone at least an hour before bed and in addition, keep your bedroom dark, quiet and cool by opening the window slightly to optimize your body for sleep.
What other methods do you use to optimise your health?
Like this post? Please feel free to comment or post on Facebook or Twitter, or if you wish to read it later, you can save it on Pinterest.