THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.
Saving money is absolutely fundamental to personal finance in that it can help you to pay off your debts, pay for any emergencies, save a deposit for a house or it can even bring you closer to financial freedom. Below are 18 ways to save money each month.
1. Get rid of any unused subscriptions-let’s face it, there are many subscription services you might not be aware you were paying for. We have evolved into an automated society, and we have become used to paying for things from which we receive no value. Indeed, according to NPD Group (a market research company), the average monthly cable bill is around $120. By the year 2020, the average cable bill is expected to be around $200 a month! You can read more about cutting unused subscriptions here.
2. Renegotiate your insurance bills-car, home, health insurance, you name it, most of us are paying too much for our insurance! By shopping around, finding alternatives or even evaluating whether or not you even need your specific plan, you may be able to save a significant amount of money on your insurance. A lot of the time you can even save money by telling our current provider that you are thinking of switching and more times than not they will seek to match or lower your current policy!
3. Sign up for Swagbucks and Inbox Dollars–Swagbucks is amazing in that it enables me to earn Amazon gift cards with very little work. Just like using Google to do your online searches, the exception is that you get rewarded points, or ‘Swagbucks’ for the things you do through their website. Then, when you have enough points, you can redeem them for cash, gift cards, and more. Plus, if you sign up today you’ll receive a free $5 bonus just for signing up!
Inbox Dollars is an online rewards website I also recommend. You can earn cash by taking surveys, playing games, shopping online, searching the web, redeeming grocery coupons, and more. Also, by signing up through my link, you will receive $5 for free!
4. Renegotiate your phone bill-when was the last time you checked whether you are paying too much for your phone bill? Chances are, you can well be paying too much! By simply checking your current plan, shopping elsewhere for cheaper deals or even calling up to cancel your current contract in the hope that your current provider would offer you a better deal, you will find that you could save a significant amount on a monthly basis!
5. Eat out less per month-how many times do you eat out each month? How much do you think you spend each month at restaurants? Most people are surprised when they actually sit down and track how much they’ve spent! Me when I was at university? £50 a month on Pizza takeaways alone! Eating out less time won’t kill you, but it will certainly make you healthier, plus it will help you save a nice chunk of change over a one-year period. Try packing your meals for work-by implementing this habit, you will not only become more healthier, it’s also more fun and you save money too! However, if you find this too much of a hassle, you can always try a meal delivery service such as the $5 meal plan. You can order your meals by clicking here.
6. Plan free days out-there are bound to be so many free things to do in your town or City. Where I am based in London for example, you can visit the Science Museum, Natural History Museum, Tate Modern, and National Portrait Gallery, all for free! Check out Timeout to find out free and fun things to do in your area.
7. Earn cashback through Ebates-sign up for a website like Ebates where you can earn CASH BACK for just spending like how you normally would online. The service is free too! Plus, when you sign up through my link, you will also receive a free $10 gift card bonus to spend on Macys, Walmart, Target, or Kohls!
8. Quit smoking-according to current research, the average person spends around $34 a month on tobacco products. That is a lot of money for a very unhealthy habit. And that adds up to a lot over the course of a year! Just think of the alternative uses you can do with your money saved up if you were to kick this habit?!
9. Increase your savings by canceling your gym membership- only do this if you actually pay for a gym membership that you never use! If you hate going to the gym, there are so many ways to get a great workout instead. Whilst there are positives for paying for a gym membership if you actually go regularly, the majority with a gym membership do not get their money’s worth if they never go. If this is you, cancel your gym membership immediately!
10. Receive a sign-up bonus or cash back from a credit card-now this tip should only be used by someone who knows how to take advantage of credit cards. Please skip this section if you are not good with credit cards! This strategy should only be used by someone who knows how to take advantage of credit cards and pays off their bills promptly every month! Click here to find the latest credit card deals.
11. Purchase a water filter to save money on water-according to recent studies, the average person in the U.S. spends around $100 per year on bottled water. To me, that’s money wasted down the drain in my opinion. Instead of spending $100 on bottled water each year, you can drink the water from your own home and buy a water filter.
12. Meal plan to save money-meal planning is not only extremely convenient, but you will eat healthier than ever, you are saving money, and moreover, you will have less food waste, considering the average person wastes over 40% of the food that they buy! If you are having trouble meal planning, you can try the $5 Meal Plan. They send meal plans directly to your email. It’s only $5 a month (the first two weeks are free) and you get meal plans sent straight to you along with the exact shopping list you need in order to create the meals. Each meal costs around $2 per person or less. This allows you to save time because you won’t have to meal plan anymore, and it will save you money as well! If you are interested in joining for free, click here.
13. Use cheaper transport-walk or bike if you can. Take the public transport instead of your car. Living and working in London, I rarely ever need to use the car!
Other ways to save money each month
14. Pay off your credit card in full each month
15. Don’t buy coffee or drinks in the coffee shops, buy your own-its 10 times cheaper!
16. Use Uber-its a lot cheaper and efficient than riding a cab. Click here to sign up.
17. Use a Thermostat
In what ways are you saving extra money each month?
Like this post? Feel free to share on social media or if you’d like to read it later, you could save it on Pinterest.